Search This Blog

Thursday 5 February 2015

More details on Social Media

Facebook:

I have found that Facebook is one of the most useful social media platforms to use to get my make-up seen by more people. I think this is because Facebook is a site used by most people and, even if they don't have a personal account, the majority of people are aware and familiar with Facebook. 
I use Facebook to promote myself and my work by uploading pictures of things I have been working on or photos from shoots I have done.



Tumblr:

I also find Tumblr useful, because there are many blogs which are dedicated to make-up as a whole or to a certain brand/artist. If a blogger likes a look you post, they might "reblog" it onto their own blog, where it can be seen by everyone who follows that blog. Users can also like and comment on posts, which can be useful when it comes to interacting with your audience or collecting feedback.


Twitter:

Using Twitter has been helpful for me because it makes it easy to keep up with makeup artists or brands and be aware of new products or competitions. Also, when you make a post on twitter, you can hashtag (#) certain things or tag users in your post. This means that not only the user that you tagged in the post can see it but also anyone else who is searching that specific tag. For example, if you tweeted something and tagged '@Sugarpill' in it, the user of the brand's twitter account would be notified and would see the tweet. 

Instagram:








Instagram is an app for iPhones and Android phones which is very similar to Twitter in that you have the option to tag other users in your posts or certain keywords and it works the same way (using @ and hashtags). However, Instagram is a solely picture-based platform, upon which you upload pictures or short videos up to 15 seconds long. It features a "discover" page which responds to your activity and the people you follow. This page shows you posts which feature users or keywords you have tagged before, or ones that are similar to them. 


Pinterest:





I use Pinterest to collect images for research and I find it much more helpful than Google Images because the pictures it finds are a lot more related to what you search for. It also has suggestions of extra keywords you can add to narrow down your search to make it more specifically tailored to what you need to find. Pinterest is extra helpful because you can make mood boards where you can gather images based on a certain overall theme. I find that this comes in handy when I'm getting inspirational images for a new brief and I need a place to find and keep them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment