Search This Blog

Wednesday 17 June 2015

Identity crisis time

To pass this assessment I need to use something called a USP (unique selling point) to identify who I am as a make-up artist and what my 'specific thing' is. 

Now, this sort of thing often tends to trigger quite a hardcore identity crisis in my case and it's always quite terrifying attempting to narrow down who I am as a person into a very small amount of text. (See my post on making a CV)

So I sat down for an embarassingly long period of time trying to answer the huge question 
"What kind of make-up artist is Bex Sweeney?"
and came up with a few things but nothing solid enough to pin down and turn into a legitimate answer so I did what I do best and I got very drunk. 
A very tipsy conversation with my wonderful tutor Ellie later and I had an answer.

My unique selling point is that I, Bex Sweeney, am impossible.

In the words of Ellie Baskerville:"You do these amazing designs and you already have ideas about how you're going to make them. Sometimes I think "That isn't going to work. Should I tell her to change it and make it easier?" but then you manage to do it anyway and it's always amazing! You have crazy attention to detail and your wigs are brilliant. That's your thing, y'know?"

In fancy legit terms: My unique selling point is that I aim to create the seemingly impossible and work hard to deliver detailed work which lives up to my ambitious designs.

I've always had this mantra going around and around in my head that I try to keep to in all areas of my life which is: "I will not be ordinary" and it's really stuck because individuality is so crazy important to me and life would be so much less fun if I tried being like everybody else, and I think that shows in my work as well as my appearance and demeanour. 

I push boundaries and create exciting and new make-ups. I would say that I am very fantasy-oriented but I also love doing realistic character fx like freckles, sweat, and dirt, and I love showing the natural beauty of my models. I have a passion for showing contrast and making things stand out from everything else. I learn everything I can and take inspiration from everywhere but always put my own spin on it. I have a very colourful, bold style and I love the little details as well as the overall look. I like to think that there's always something magical about the things I make.

I think I'd market my brand as very creative and magical, full of character, and bursting at the seams with life and colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment